Sunday 15 July 2012

BATTLING A MEDIA FAST


Let the combined forces of PRAISE, EXERCISE AND NATURE pull you away from technology.

On weekends I try to shut myself from electronic media. But it’s a struggle to stay disconnected in this age of mobile technologies.

I have been trying to keep a fast from media for a day in a week (or at least half a day to start with). 

But the going has not been easy. I have to pommel and subdue myself to fend off my inclinations, just like what Paul had to do*.

I only switched from a not-so-smart but trusty clam-shell phone to a smartphone a month ago. But being a recent convert didn’t make things easier. Willingly or reluctantly, we all have been sucked into this “perpetual connectedness” mode.

But by keeping in mind the acronym – P.E.N. – our battle is somewhat made easier.

Taking a walk in the park on Sunday, I reap the benefits of exercise amid the greenery, the sound of birds chirping and tweeting, basking in the soothing warmth of the setting sun. This experience almost instinctively causes me to burst out in praise to the Creator.

The combined forces of PRAISE, EXERCISE AND NATURE pull me away from the attractions of the virtual world.

Praise God that we can have one day off for rest and worship – away from technology.

Giving those small hand muscles a break means that the likelihood of repetitive stress injuries (due to constant use of the mouse and typing) is lessened. Instead we exercise our heart muscles and larger groups of muscles of the extremities.

As we set our sights on distant objects, eye strain diminishes as the ciliary muscles relax. The nearness with nature also has a calming effect, causing our blood pressure to improve and heart rate to slow down.

All this gives us a much needed break before we face the grind again the coming week.

We all need to stay connected but it’s the quality not quantity that counts.

* Footnote:  “Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified” (1 Corinthians 9:25-27).

RELATED POST: MAKING CONNECTIONS THAT MATTER

No comments:

Post a Comment