Friday 24 August 2012

SOUND OF SILENCE

Baby boomers might remember this catchy tune, Sound of Silence” by Simon & Garfunkel, (the guys who also gave us “Bridge over Troubled Waters”).

 

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence


Recently I visited a grieving couple whose teenage son perished in a car accident. What do you do when you set out to comfort someone in grief but your mind draws a blank?

All I could do was look them in the eye while grasping their hands. For a few moments, the gaze, touch and silence “spoke”, as if in empathy.

Words did not matter; what was important was being there for them when they needed emotional support



                                                                       



Looking back, I wish I had some comforting words. But then again, when love is the motive, are words necessary?

So don’t be afraid to be silent. 

Silence can communicate louder than words.

Silence can be a bridge over someone’s troubled waters.



No comments:

Post a Comment