- God’s part: “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast” (Ephesians 2:8,9).
- Our part: “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10).
- Our part: “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12).
- God’s part: “For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure” (Philippians 2:13).
Thus, when we embrace God’s grace and mercy, we have to live out our faith with a sense of personal responsibility.
Let’s examine now another account where Jesus expected a forgiven sinner to turn over a new leaf.
- “Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead” (James 2:17).
- “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also” (James 2:26).